Tuesday, February 5, 2013

El día terrible de Julia

Some days I want my students to "freewrite" and just show me what they can do.  This activity worked well to span across a couple days as a filler activity.

1) First I showed students a picture of a girl screaming.  I just google imaged searched "girl screaming."  I told them, "Hoy Julia está muy frustrada porque muchas cosas malas pasaron ayer.  ¿Qué piensan ustedes? ¿Qué pasó ayer?

The students had to invent a terrible day.  First, we brainstormed different bad things that can happen at school, at home, and in your social life.  We wrote the different activities on the board.

2) I gave the students fifteen minutes to write and create a terrible day for Julia.  They wrote in past tense since the terrible day was yesterday.

3) I compiled their stories to create the story attached below.  They students were more engaged because Julia's terrible day was a combination of all of their evil ideas.  Students read the story in pairs, discussed the questions in English, and organized Julia's problems.

4) After the students finished the reading activity, we played "would you rather" with the problems Julia faced.  For example: ¿Prefieres vomitar en la escuela o llorar en la escuela?"  The results were funny, interesting, and got my usually hesitant level twos talking in Spanish!

Download the reading here:


http://www.scribd.com/doc/124036892/el-dia-terrible-de-Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment