Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Light and Dark

I feel helpless to combat
the incessant
testing, data
bubbles and numbers.
graphs
that determine funding
and teacher performance.

I was armed with creativity and enthusiasm!
But have since
been stripped.
By apathetic students.
Demanding parents.
Unprofessional colleagues.
Poor leadership.

I'm a light
that has gone out.

A few of the students and a few of the teachers
their lights are still burning...
But for how long?
Until the system teaches them
mediocrity?
reduces them to a test score?

I want to turn the light back on,
But I know how much it hurt.
How empty my dreams felt
that day the light went out.

I hope you know,
I see you.
Burning
Blazing with questions
On fire, blazing through every challenge and page!
Thank goodness you are here
In all this darkness.
You comfort me.

I am happy for the hope you bring me.
but also
Sad.
For you.
That you did not go to high school
at a different time, in a different place.
When you might have been surrounded by lights.

But you,
You will be stronger and tougher than I ever was.
Able to weather any storm.
Light conceived in light fears the dark
But light raised in darkness can never be extinguished.




No comments:

Post a Comment