Monday, October 1, 2012

Take a Minute.

Whew!  Today is one of those days when I just need to take a minute.  I allowed myself to get really frusterated with one of my classes today and I find myself slipping into that familiar pattern of "starting a war" with a "bad" class.  What is it about kids behaving immaturely that brings out your own immaturity?

It started with my native Spanish speaker (who should not be in level two anyways) correcting my Spanish the entire period.  Constantly looking with a look of "that isn't correct" or even raising his hand to tell me the preferred method of saying it really got me pretty cranky.  I've tired to communicate to him several times, "THIS IS SPANISH TWO.  WE ARE GOING TO LEARN THE BASIC WAY TO SAY THINGS." But it seems a little lost on him.  I think next week and independent library research project is coming his way....and another "chat" tomorrow.

Of course my lesson plan wasn't tight enough to handle all his disruptions/corrections along with the general chattiness and negative attitude of these second year language learners.  UGH.  Why do these kids keep going if they are just dead weight?!  Don't they know its an ELECTIVE? They groan, they moan, the complain, they have about as much energy as a wet blanket.  And today I just about had a kid fit in front of them.  I had to leave the class for a minute to get myself together.  Embarrassing. And it will have ramifications.  Rather than being strong, neutral, and consistent they realize "I can get under her skin." It's like sharks smelling blood.

After a weekend of relaxing you would think I'd have a better handle on things today.

That being said, my Spanish I classes behaved beautifully and they are the light that keeps bringing me back for more.




No comments:

Post a Comment